- First and last name;
- A home or other physical address including street name and name of a city or town;
- Online contact information;
- A screen or user name that functions as online contact information;
- A telephone number;
- A social security number;
- A persistent identifier that can be used to recognize a user overtime and across different Web sites or online services (e.g., an identifier stored in a cookie, an IP address, etc.);
- A photograph, video, or audio file, where such file contains a child’s image or voice;
- Geolocation information sufficient to identify street name and name of a city or town; and
- Information concerning the child or the parents of that child that the operator collects online from the child and combines with an identifier listed above.
- What personal information do we collect from children?
- How do we use and share the personal information that we have collected from children?
- How do we notify and obtain consent from parents?
- How can parents access, change or delete personal information about their children?
WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT FROM CHILDREN? When a child registers to use the Website, we collect information from the child as part of a registration process. The only information we collect or may collect from such a child during the registration process is the child’s first name, the child’s date of birth, the parent’s e-mail address, and an opt-in request to name their neighborhood location. We collect birth dates to validate the ages of all of our guests. We do not collect any other information from children during the registration process. However, in the course of a child submitting information or content to the Website, that child may also provide additional information about himself or herself, such as the contents of his/her photos, texts, and video messages. That information may be collected and shared on the Website as part of the larger Website project. We recommend parents and guardians routinely check content shared by the child on the Website. We also collect persistent identifiers. The collection of persistent identifiers is not unique to children but is performed for all users of the Website. The persistent identifiers are not linked to any other personal information of a child. Therefore, any use or disclosure of the persistent identifiers by us does not use or disclose any other personal information of a child.
HOW DO WE USE AND SHARE THE PERSONAL INFORMATION THAT WE HAVE COLLECTED FROM CHILDREN? When a child registers to use the Website, we use the parent’s e-mail address to notify the parent of the registration request (as described in detail below). To personalize our communications to a child, we may use the child’s first name in those communications. We do not disclose any child’s registration information to third parties, unless disclosure is reasonably necessary to: protect the security of integrity of our Website; take precautions against liability; respond to judicial process; or, provide information to law enforcement agencies or for an investigation related to public safety, but only to the extent permitted under provisions of law. However, as noted above, if a child submits other information about himself or herself after registering with the Website, such as the contents of his/her photos, texts, and video messages, this information may be collected and shared on the Website as part of the larger Website project. We recommend parents and guardians routinely check content shared by the child on the Website. In addition, we may disclose persistent identifiers associated with users (including children) to third parties. As previously noted, the persistent identifiers are not linked to any other personal information of a child. Therefore, any use or disclosure of the persistent identifiers by us does not use or disclose any other personal information of a child.
HOW DO WE NOTIFY AND OBTAIN CONSENT FROM PARENTS? We send parent(s) an e-mail when their child registers to use the Website. We provide parents with the opportunity to refuse and revoke their child’s registration. If the parent refuses and revokes the child’s registration, we delete the child’s information from our database(s). If we do not hear back from the parent, we assume it is acceptable for the child to be registered on the Website. Once a parent permits a child to register, the parent will receive emailed updates regarding the child’s Website activity, with an option to opt-out of these emailed updates.
HOW CAN PARENTS ACCESS, CHANGE OR DELETE PERSONAL INFORMATION ABOUT THEIR CHILDREN? At any time, parents can request that any personal information we have collected from or about their child(ren) be deleted from our records. We use two methods to allow parents to access, change, or delete the personally identifiable information that we have collected from their children:
- A parent can access, change, or delete his or her child’s registration information by logging on to the child’s account on the Website. The parent will need to have his or her child’s username and password to make changes in this manner.
- A parent can contact Website personnel to access, change, or delete the information that we have collected from his or her child by sending an e-mail to email@example.com. Parents must include the child’s username and password and the parent’s e-mail address in the e-mail so that we can better assist you with your inquiry or request.
- As persistent identifiers are not linked to a particular user (i.e., they are not linked to any other personal information associated with a child), persistent identifiers associated with a child cannot be removed from our records because they cannot be identified as being associated with a particular child. Therefore, any parent request for removal of a child’s information from our records will not and cannot result in the removal of any persistent identifiers.